Philip Birtles, Trustee
Philip is our resident de Havilland Mosquito expert, currently also holding the post of President of the de Havilland Mosquito Museum.
Philip served a five-year engineering apprenticeship at the de Havilland Aeronautical School, together with studies at Hatfield Technical College – now University of Hertfordshire. He worked in many technical departments, including Aero Tools, Ratefixing, Shop Engineers, Comet Wing Assembly and spares provisioning on the DH 125.
Philip graduated with Higher National Certificates in Production and Mechanical Engineering and achieved membership of the Institutes of Mechanical and Production Engineering.
- Appointed personal assistant to John Cunningham, director and chief test pilot in support of the Trident and DH 125 flight development programmes.
- Appointed as deputy public relations manager with responsibilities for Trident jet airliner and DH 125 business jet programmes, and support for the early stages of Airbus.
- Appointed public relations manager at British Aerospace Dynamics Group Army Weapons Division at Stevenage, responsible for marketing support for land launched weapons including Rapier low level air defence and Swing fire anti-armour weapon. Also support for the international Euromissile Group anti-armour weapon programme.
- Returned to Hatfield as contracts executive responsible for the technical acceptances by the customers of the BAe.146 airliners at Hatfield, Woodford and East Midlands.
- Marketing director of Allied Strategies, an independent management consultancy specialising in organisational development, including privatisation programmes of major corporations.
- Sales and marketing director of the Potton Brewery, an independent micro-brewery.
- Trustee of The de Havilland Museum Trust for some 40 years.
- Chairman of supporters' society during early development of the Museum, including construction of the main hangar and utilities. Now non-executive president.
Author of over 40 published books, mainly on aerospace subjects.
Practical restoration experience on Chipmunk, Sea Venom, Sea Vixen and early stages of Mosquito B.35, before it was brought under cover. Also participating in restoration of Mosquito Prototype and ex 605 Squadron Mosquito FB.IV TA122.